More than fifty years ago, in March of 1957, Elmo R. Moore established the Overhead Door Company of Waterloo™, Inc. His fledgling business’s office was located at 311 Mullan Avenue, in the basement of the Home Coal Company which was owned by his father A. R. Moore. Elmo started his enterprise with just one employee. During the next ten years, the company steadily added staff and customers, until it outgrew its first facility. Elmo then moved his business to 324 W. 5th Street in 1967, where it remained until 1985. That year the Overhead Door Company™, with 10 employees, moved to its present location, 800 Commercial Street. The business has grown to include 15 employees and thousands of customers across Northeast Iowa.
In addition to moving his company in 1985, Elmo also retired and turned over the ownership of the business to his son Patrick R. Moore, who had worked at the company in various capacities since his childhood and who is still its owner, although he, too, is now retired. Patrick’s son Mason P. Moore was named vice president of the company in 2000, upon his graduation from the University of Northern Iowa, and he is now the president.
Since its humble beginning in 1957, the Overhead Door Company of Waterloo™, Inc. has continuously operated under the familiar red ribbon logo of the national Overhead Door™ Corporation, the oldest garage door manufacturer in the world.